Cachexia, which is sometimes referred to as starvation disease, is a disease that mostly affects those with severe medical issues. Cachexia, which affects up to 5 million Americans according on newsmedical.com, is a potentially deadly illness.
In this article, we’ll discuss what Wasting Syndrome is and how medical marijuana may help those who suffer from it.
What is Cachexia?
Cachexia, or cachectic disease, is a condition that causes muscle and fat loss as well as fatigue. It affects those with AIDS and advanced cancer as well as other serious chronic progressive illnesses.
Cachectic people are those who aren’t attempting to shed pounds. Cachexia also affects elderly persons for no apparent reason. Anorexia and cachexia are frequently seen together.
It’s critical to distinguish between cachexia and other causes of weight loss in order to get a correct diagnosis and manage the problem effectively. Cachexia develops in chronic illness during its final stages. Patients with the following diseases are at greatest risk:
- Celiac disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic kidney disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Mercury poisoning
- Congestive heart failure
- Severe sepsis
Cachexia is a condition in which your body has incorrect quantities of numerous compounds. It’s due to this issue that your muscles waste away and you lose weight. Higher amounts of myostatin, glucocorticoids (kidney hormones), and insulin-like growth factor l (IFG-l) are all causes of muscle wasting. You might be lacking in testosterone as well.
Your weight loss is supported by elevated levels of cytokines (inflammatory substances that contribute to weight reduction). It’s possible that having high quantities of cytokines in your circulation is linked to one of the aforementioned long-term health problems.
Symptoms Of Cachexia
When you have cachexia, you may not seem malnourished. If you were overweight when your chronic disease developed, you won’t appear to be immediately underweight. Cachexia, on the other hand, may be obvious even if you are a tiny person.
Cachexia, which is the loss of muscle mass and function caused by disease or injury, is difficult to detect since it often goes unnoticed. To identify cachexia, you must have the following symptoms:
- Having less than ten percent body fat.
- Unintentionally losing more than five percent of your total body weight.
- Having elevated levels of cytokines in your blood.
- If you’re older than 65 and under 20, your body mass index (BMI) should be less than 22.
- Protein Albumin is a kind of blood protein that your body produces naturally. Protein albumin is made in the liver and maintains your body’s fluid balance. It can cause swelling, especially in the ankles, when you have abnormally low levels of protein albumin.
Effects Of Cachexia
Cachexia is a type of hunger-related illness that affects the body’s ability to maintain itself. When you have cachexia, you’re usually already suffering from an underlying chronic disease. Both problems bring with them a slew of unpleasant and inconvenient symptoms.Cachexia might cause your chronic condition symptoms to get worse, while vice versa. You’ll most likely notice a deterioration in your quality of life, as well as difficulties responding to treatments. You’ll also be more susceptible to infections because of a weakened immune system. It’s probable that you’ll feel worn out all the time and become sad.
It’ll be tough to perform activities you formerly viewed as simple, like talking on the phone. Because your muscles and fat are being burned, they aren’t able to store nutrients any more. Your body’s ability to function is severely hampered, and you may get very sick as a result
Research Involving Marijuana & Wasting Syndrome / Cachexia
People with wasting syndrome seem to be more likely than others to consume cannabis and get the “munchies.” A Columbia University study in 2007 found that giving marijuana orally to AIDS patients suffering from cachexia significantly improved their appetite and resulted in weight gain.
According to a research reported in 2011, cannabis consumption via the mouth increased cancer patients’ hunger by 64%! To date, studies suggest that the THC component in marijuana is most efficient when it comes to increasing hunger.
THC, the psychotropic ingredient in marijuana, is one of the hundreds of cannabinoids that react with the endocannabinoid system, a signaling system that controls appetite. THC is particularly successful since it leads the brain to believe it is hungry.
What Symptoms of Cachexia Can Marijuana Treat?
You’ve no doubt heard about how cannabis activates your appetite. Marijuana is well-known for giving folks “the munchies.” Not only that, but it treats nausea, vomiting, depression, and general sickliness that comes with cachexia. Let’s take a look at some of the greatest marijuana strains for treating cachexia.
Best Strains Of Marijuana To Use For Cachexia
In the United States, marijuana is still prohibited by law on a federal level. However, many states have legalized its medical and recreational usage. To qualify for medical cannabis for cachexia, you’ll must have a condition that’s on your state’s list of qualifying medical pot diseases, as well as a medical marijuana doctor’s prescription. You may then obtain a medical marijuana card after that.
You may purchase medical cannabis goods once you’ve been given the go-ahead. You won’t need a medical marijuana card if recreational use is allowed in your state. However, because you don’t have a qualifying health condition, you won’t be able to access the same medical marijuana treatments that others can.
There are a variety of medical marijuana strains for cachexia available at dispensaries. Each souche has its own set of characteristics. It’s a good idea to talk to an expert budtender or your doctor about what would work best for you. Meanwhile, have a look at this short list for more information.
When it comes to cachexia, the most prevalent symptom is lack of appetite. When you start eating properly, your nausea and vomiting usually improve. Take a look at the three strains below if they can assist you.
- Sonoma Coma. Sonoma Coma is a rare sativa from California’s Sonoma County. You will be energetic and uplifted when you smoke it. You should also be hungry.
- Orange Skunk. Orange Skunk has a variety of health benefits. It helps to relieve anxiety and sadness while also increasing your appetite. Orange Skunk is a hybrid strain with strong pain-relieving properties.
- Caramelo. Caramelo is a sativa-dominant hybrid. It relieves nausea and pain while also making you feel hungry and happy. The strain is excellent for daytime use, and its effects can be brief.
Cannabis can assist you eat, keep your food down, and fight weight loss and muscle wasting. The following cannabis strains might be used to alleviate nausea and vomiting:
- Durban Poison. Don’t be scared off by the name. Durban Poison is a sativa strain that gives you energy and reduces nausea symptoms. When you smoke this sort of marijuana, you may feel extremely creative due to its strong cognitive effects.
- Sour Diesel. Sour Diesel has a distinct sour lemony scent. Despite its strong odor, this popular sativa effects similar to a morning cup of coffee. You’ll be more inspired. After you take this strain, you could discover that your nausea symptoms vanish very fast.
- Mango Kush. Mango Kush is a wonderful strain for first-timers. When you smoke this kind of marijuana, you feel instantly calm, cheerful, and less sick. It’s a good choice for daytime use since it helps to relieve social anxiety and makes you feel calm and talkative.
Cannabis has been used to boost one’s mood for a long time. People have been using marijuana to self-medicate for many years, of course. Naturally, when you’re ill, your mood is less than cheery. If sadness grips your emotional well being, you might feel isolated, down, and unable to get out of bed in the morning. Fortunately, the following strains may help you cope with melancholy:
- Blue Dream. Blue Dream is a sativa-dominant hybrid that is perhaps the most well-known cannabis strains on the planet. It’s appropriate for daytime use and makes you feel calm and cheerful. Its creative energy is also notable.
- Granddaddy Purple. Granddaddy Purple, an indica strain, is popular among medical marijuana users with depression. It has a physically heavy yet mentally stimulating impact that is best experienced at night.
- Chocolope. Chocolope is a sativa strain that alleviates aches, pains, tiredness, and sadness. When you consume Chocolope, you feel cheerful. It’s preferable to start with a low dose and gradually increase as this strain might induce anxiety.
Chronic illness drains your vitality. You’ve probably grown weary of always being sick and tired. A lack of energy can make you sad. You may have lost interest in hobbies you used to enjoy, and your social life could be suffering as a result. If you’re having trouble maintaining your energy levels, try these three sativa strains:
- Jack’s Cleaner. Jack’s Cleaner gives you a boost of motivation and concentration. Getting tasks done becomes simpler. You feel more cheerful and like your old self again.
- Super Silver Haze. The energizing Silver Haze is a potent strain that makes you feel driven. Its effects can last for days. As a result, if you have a lot to accomplish, this is the ideal cannabis variety for you.
- OG Kush. You may feel drowsy after smoking OG Kush, but you will still be happy and well-balanced. When you smoke OG Kush, you’ll move at your own pace and get things done slowly.
Best Methods Of Marijuana Treatment To Use To Treat Cachexia Symptoms
Now that you know some of the most powerful cannabis strains for cachexia, let’s look at how to consume them. You’re already sick. As a result, smoking marijuana is probably not an option for you. So, what are your options in this situation?
- Vaping. Vaping is a great method to relieve stress and tension, although it may be costly.
- Sprays. Sprays are available in a range of fragrances and are convenient to transport. Also, if you have issues with solid foods, sprays may be taken easily. Tinctures
- Juices. You may combine raw, fresh cannabis leaves with any sort of vegetable or fruit juice for a tasty drink. If you don’t feel like eating a lot, juicing is an excellent choice.
- Edibles. Edibles are available to purchase or create at home. Whether you’re in a public place or at home, they’ll go unnoticed if you consume them. If eating is difficult for you, consider buying marijuana-infused lollipops and lozenges.
The techniques described above eliminate the necessity to smoke marijuana and allow you to experiment with a variety of methods of ingestion until you discover one that works for you.
Cachexia is a complicated condition that needs further study. Although cachexia isn’t cured with cannabis alone, it does go a long way toward relieving your symptoms. Marijuana and its extracts have firmly established themselves as medicines with significant advantages if you have cachexia. Cannabis for cachexia can help you feel more hungry, which will help you gain weight and improve your quality of life.
If you or someone close to you is looking for a way to get rid of your symptoms gently and naturally, go online today to learn more about cannabis and cachexia.
Imagine what it’s like to be on the receiving end if you’ve ever had someone you care about struggle with wasting syndrome. There is some light at the end of the tunnel in the form of marijuana, which may increase your hunger and hopefully help you stay at a healthy weight. If you have wasting syndrome and want to use medical marijuana as a therapy, check with your doctor first.